INDIA: Asia Pacific Breweries quiet on India acquisition talk
Asia Pacific Breweries has confirmed it is looking to increase its presence in India, both through organic growth and acquisitions.
The brewer currently has two breweries in India, one in Maharashtra, central India, while the second, greenfield brewery will open shortly in the southern state of Andhra Pradesh.
The company, a joint venture between Heineken and Fraser & Neave, was responding today (22 April) to reports that it is looking to establish a brewery of its own or hoping to buy an existing one in north India.
Vivek Chhabra, regional director for south Asia and director of group business development at APB, was cited in a report late last week as saying: "We desire to have a brewery in north India especially in Punjab, Harayana or Rajasthan. There is no timeline set for it as we are not in a hurry."
When contacted by just-drinks, however, Chhabra said: "Consistent with its objective to increasingly gain a stronger foothold in the Indian beer market, particularly in the regions which we are not present in or where present good opportunities, APB will continue to seek growth through organic and strategic acquisition alliances or greenfield projects.
"We shall announce details of such plans at an opportune time," Chhabra concluded.
Heineken and Efes Breweries International have confirmed further details of their joint-venture in Serbia, and the closure of one of their breweries in the country....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
The managing director of Cobra Beer's Indian unit has left the company after just over six months in the position....
Carlsberg has said it is cutting back on short-term investment because of financial market instability....
Foster's Wine Estates has announced the appointment of Shawn Schiffer as vice president of National Retail Accounts....
A poor financial climate means Australian drinks group Foster's might be forced to wait to unload its troubled wine division....
Chile's largest brewer, Compañía Cervecerías Unidas (CCU), has said that volumes have increased by 12% in the first nine months of its financial year....
Heineken has received unconditional approval from the Irish Competition Authority for its acquisition of Beamish & Crawford....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends