FRANCE: Asia drives Danone's buoyant drinks
Rising sales and earnings from Groupe Danone's drinks division have helped drive a strong 2006 at the French consumer goods group.
Danone, which produces Evian and Volvic bottled waters, said profits from its beverage business rose 12.5% last year to EUR504m (US$661m). The division also posted a 14.8% jump in revenues to EUR3.9bn.
The company said yesterday (15 February) that its drinks arm had an "outstanding year", driven by innovation programmes in Asia.
"In a difficult trading environment, France was in slight decline but has succeeded in gaining value market share in the plain still water segment, as well as in the healthy beverage segment," Danone said.
Outside France, Danone said its drinks sales had grown by "double-digits" thanks to "strong performances" in Spain, Germany and Poland.
On a group basis, Danone saw operating profit rise 10% to EUR1.9bn on the back of a 9.7% rise in sales to EUR14.1bn.
Following the recent floods in the UK, bottled water companies provided emergency supplies when mains water services broke down. Their largely unsung actions gave the companies a chance to demonstrate...
Attention has been focused on the Indian bottled water sector over the last week or so as speculation has mounted that Danone and a number of other companies are looking to expand their presence in th...
Water is a growth area in the soft drinks market, and Nestlé has been a key player in this fast-expanding category. But the Swiss food and drinks giant has particularly high hopes for its Pure Life br...
Indian software group Wipro has refuted speculation that it is considering launching a takeover bid for the leading Indian bottled water company Bisleri, according to reports....
Danone has posted a slip in group net profit for the first six months of 2007....
Groupe Danone has declined to comment over recent speculation that it is looking at potential acquisitions within the Indian bottled water market....
Evian North America has appointed a new president and general manager....
Frucor Beverages has acquired the assets and brands of the Arano juice business in New Zealand....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Industry is following the pack to patriotic party
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Diageo unveils first European Johnnie Walker House
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends