JAPAN: Asahi to take 50% stake in Tingyi - report
Asahi is to take a large step into China, according to reports. The Economic Daily News has reported that the Japanese brewer is expected to acquire a 50% holding in Tingyi Holding Corp to make inroads into China's beverage market.
The report says that the acquisition will cost Asahi almost US$1 billion, but does not name a source for the story. According to the paper, Tingyi chose Asahi over Coca-Cola Co. as its partner because the US company wanted more than a 50% stake in the company.
On Monday, Tingyi asked the Hong Kong stock exchange to suspend trading in its shares as a major transaction will shortly be announced.
Sectors: Beer & cider
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- US wholesalers point to Absolut decline - report
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US
- Carbonates in India