JAPAN/S KOREA: Asahi, Lotte deny Oriental Brewery team-up
Japan's top financial daily, the Nikkei, ran a report yesterday (5 February) citing an unnamed source at Asahi as saying the brewer had confirmed such talks with Lotte to jointly acquire South Korea's second-largest brewer for between $1.1bn and $1.6bn.
The Nikkei has a track record of breaking news of such mergers and takeovers long before they are official.
"Counter to claims in the press, Asahi has no plans at the moment to make such an offer," a spokesman said on behalf of the Japanese beer maker.
OB declined to comment, although its acquisition by a Japanese brewer is highly likely given that the yen has almost doubled its strength against the won in recent months.
Anheuser-Busch InBev has refused to be drawn on reports claiming that it will scrap the sale of its brewing operations in Central and Eastern Europe....
Local reports out of China this week have claimed that Tsingtao Group is going to switch ownership of Baotuquan Beer internally....
Hansen Natural has appointed Nick Gagliardi as chief operating officer for its Monster Beverage division in the US....
Icelandic bottled water company Icelandic Water Holdings has signed an agreement with US airline operator AirTran Airways to supply water on its daily flights....
Private equity group CVC Capital Partners has emerged as the frontrunner to buy Anheuser-Busch InBev's brewing assets in Central and Eastern Europe, according to reports....
Financial analysts in Japan are pouring cold water on rumours that Asahi may look to merge with either Sapporo Holdings or Foster's Group to compete with a combined Kirin and Suntory....
Anheuser-Busch InBev has completed the previously announced sale of Oriental Brewery (OB) to an affiliate of Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co (KKR) for US$1.8 billion....
AmBev, the division of Anheuser-Busch InBev, may appeal a R$352m fine handed down by Brazil's antitrust authority....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts