JAPAN: Asahi holds off Kirin in domestic battle
Asahi has managed to hold on to the top spot in the Japanese beer market, despite a dip in sales volumes, according to local reports.
Asahi said that its sales of beer and beer-like drinks on the domestic market last year slid by 3.1% against 2005, coming in at 187.4m cases, a report for the Kyodo news agency said on Wednesday (10 January).
Even so, Asahi held off its main challenger, Kirin Brewery, to hold the lead for the sixth year in a row.
Kirin's sales in 2006 increased for a second successive year, reaching 187.1m cases, a climb of 4.8%.
While Kirin held the lead over Asahi in the first nine months of 2006, a late spurt of innovations from Asahi saw the leader reclaim the top spot in the last quarter of the year.
Figures released next week will show how the brewers performed on the export front.
Looking forward, Asahi is targeting sales of 198m cases in 2007, while Kirin hopes to hit 197.5m.
Japan has led the way in functional drinks and as market maturity and demographics have slowed sales, manufacturers have continued to innovate imaginatively. Jeanette Bengtsson, soft drinks manager at...
San Miguel Corp has made no further comment over its talks to sell its stake in Australian dairy and fruit juice company National Foods....
San Miguel is bringing forward the listing of its flagship domestic beer and packaging businesses on the Philippine stock market, according to reports....
San Miguel has authorised the listing of its flagship domestic beer and packaging businesses in the Philippine stock market....
Kirin Brewery Co has posted a healthy lift in Q1 sales....
San Miguel Corp. has posted rising sales in 2006, despite sliding volumes at its spirits arm....
A survey of the top brewers in Japan has shown total beer and quasi-beer shipments were flat in the first three months of this year....
Japanese beverage alcohol wholesaler Izmic Corp. has reportedly bought rival firm Yoshikawasyuhan Corp. for an undisclosed sum....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Innovations - Scotch Whisky VII
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China