JAPAN: Asahi Group's H1 boosted by soft drinks sales
- H1 beverage sales up 9.6% to JPY639.7bn (US$6.5bn)
- Beverage operating profits climb 8.7% to JPY45.9bn
- Group profits down 40% to JPY15.4bn
Soft drinks profits bounced back in H1
Asahi Group has posted a rise in first-half beverage profits as a strong soft drinks performance propped up flat alcohol sales.
Net beverage sales increased by 9.6% to JPY639.7bn (US$6.5bn) in the six months to the end of June, the Tokyo-based brewer, soft drinks maker and food group said today (1 August). Beverage operating profits also rose, by 8.7% to JPY45.9bn over the same period, Asahi said.
Alcohol sales and profits stayed mainly flat over the half year, but soft drinks posted a 30% jump in sales and a 205% jump in operating profits. Soft drinks account for around one-third of Asahi's beverage sales, but just one-tenth of operating profits.
It was a marked change to Asahi's full-year results, when soft drink sales increased by 13.8% but profits were down by 28%.
Overall net sales for Asahi Group rose by 10% to JPY780.7bn while net profits fell by 40% to JPY15.4bn. Operating profits were up by 12.6% to JPY36.9bn. Most of the profits drop was because of an JPY8bn gain on change in equity in H1 last year.
Asahi's share priced ended today's trading up 1% at JPY2,523.
In June, Asahi said it had teamed up with an Indonesian snacks maker to buy Indonesia's PepsiCo bottler for US$30m.
To read the company's official statement, click here.
During 2012, overall health and wellness packaged food products recorded positive value growth, boosted by price increases and favourable volume growth. A slight improvement of the population’s purcha...
Asahi Breweries Ltd aims to increase its sales over the forecast period. In order to achieve this, the company plans to reinforce its core brands such as Asahi Super Dry and Clear Asahi. It also plans...
South Korea's Lotte Chilsung has invested US$81m to set up a JV in Myanmar with local company MGS Beverage, according to a report....
Total health and wellness food and beverage sales in the US recovered in 2012 but at a lower level than in 2011. Much of the slowdown is due to a reduction in unit prices of drinking milk in 2012 as m...
Having become a subsidiary of Asahi Group Holdings, the company aims to maximise synergies with other Asahi subsidiaries in terms of procurement and product development. In addition, the company inten...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Edrington posts FY profits drop
- TWE, Pernod hail China-Aus FTA
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research