JAPAN/AUS: Asahi Group to buy P&N Beverages in revised deal
Asahi will acquire P&N Beverages Australia, the third largest soft drink company by volume in Australia
Asahi Group Holdings has entered into a fresh agreement to purchase P&N Beverages in a JPY16.3bn (US$202m) deal that has been revised to satisfy Australia's competition watchdog.
Asahi plans to acquire P&N Beverages Australia, the country's third largest soft drink company by volume in a revamped deal to satisfy the country's regulators. In March, The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) opposed the proposed acquisition due to concerns about possible effects of the deal on the countrys' soft drinks market, and particularly the CSD sector.
As a result, Asahi has agreed to sell P&N's CSD and cordial businesses to Tru Blu Beverages, which will result in Asahi acquiring the water and juice businesses of P&N.
The deal is part of Asahi's long-term strategy to grow its business outside of Japan. The firm said that it aims to increase its global net sales from JPY2tn to JPY2.5tn by 2015.
The P&N acquisition remains subject to regulatory approvals from the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission and the Foreign Investment Review Board.
Asahi expects to complete the deal in September.
The firm also announced a deal this morning to acquire New Zealand's Charlie's Group. Reports have also surfaced that the company is in talks to acquire Malaysian PepsiCo bottler Permanis.
In the second part of just-drinks' review of 2011, Michelle Russell looks at how the soft drinks category has fared in the last 12 months....
An alliance announced this morning (4 November) between PepsiCo and Tingyi Holding has been hailed by analysts as a smart move for both firms, and a signal that competition is set to intensify in Chin...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research