JAPAN: Asahi Group may speed up global chase of Suntory, Kirin - analyst
Asahi announced a JV in Indonesia yesterday
Asahi Group's attempts to catch up on domestic rivals in the global market may heat up as cash flows increase and home growth is squeezed, an analyst has said.
The Japanese brewer yesterday (9 July) announced a US$213m JV with PT Indofood CBP Sukses Makmur to make non-alcoholic drinks. But, despite a string of partnerships with local partners outside of Japan, Asahi still lags Suntory and Kirin in revenue from overseas operations, Torsten Stocker, a partner at consulting firm Monitor Group, told just-drinks.
“Buying overseas businesses or entering JVs with a strong local partner has been a fairly typical expansion path for these players, rather than setting up their own operations to build their brands overseas,” Stocker said.
“They have been pursuing this strategy for the past ten to 15 years, but it has taken a new sense of urgency recently, as growth in Japan is very hard to come by, and almost always means taking share from a rival, given the mature domestic economy.
“On top of that, this strategy has been helped by the cash flow the Japanese players generate in their home market and the strength of the yen.”
However, other players have been active as well. Kirin has a stake in the Philippines' San Miguel Brewery and in Singapore's Fraser & Neave. Suntory purchased Orangina Schweppes Group in 2009 and last month announced a JV with Chinese brewer Tsingtao.
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- A-B InBev to "kick the tyres" at Coca-Cola
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015