JAPAN: Asahi drops happoshu price
The move follows the announcement of Suntory's plans to launch a new happoshu brand retailing at Y135 for a 350ml can and Y185 yen for a 500ml can. All four major Japanese breweries are being highly aggressive in their pricing of happoshu - which is already significantly cheaper than standard beer - to boost sales during the peak summer season. Asahi and Suntory have matched the prices for happoshu currently being offered by Kirin and Sapporo.
But the lowest-priced happoshu product on the market will be Suntory's "Ad Nama" brand. This brand, scheduled to launch in June, will carry advertising for other companies on its label, with Suntory using the ad revenues to subsidise the brand, allowing it to retail at Y128 for a 350ml.
Constellation Brands is interested in some of Allied Domecq's spirits brands, according to reports today (15 April)....
Maxxium Worldwide could come under pressure if Pernod and Fortune's Allied Domecq bid is successful, according to press reports today (14 April)....
It's been a quiet day on the Pernod/Allied Domecq front....
Conflicting reports circulated this weekend over whether Bacardi International is looking to form a counter-bid for Allied Domecq....
Todays press reports into Pernod and Fortune's hopes to buy Allied Domecq warn of possible conflicts and set a date for completion....
Pernod Ricard and Fortune Brands are hoping to buy Allied Domecq for around 670p per share, according to press reports....
LVMH has said it is not looking to buy Mumm Champagne from Allied Domecq....
Kirin Brewery is to follow Sapporo and Suntory into the so-called "third-category" beer market in Japan....
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Britvic appoints SABMiller's Dunn as CFO
- Whyte & Mackay brings RumChata to UK
- Q2 drags on half-year for Anheuser-Busch InBev
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research