JAPAN: Asahi Breweries to buy House Food water arm
Asahi expects to begin production in June
The soft drinks unit of Asahi Breweries has reached an agreement to buy House Food Corp’s branded mineral water business for JPY5.3bn (US$56.9m).
Asahi Soft Drinks Co announced this morning (8 April) that the purchase of the Oi Shii Mizu unit will include the production and distribution of the brand. This includes the land, buildings and equipment at both the firm’s Rokko plant and Nada water source point.
The Japanese brewer and soft drink maker said the target business recorded sales of JPY12.20bn (US$130.8m) in the fiscal year ended March 2009, accounting for 7% of the domestic mineral water market. Asahi, meanwhile, had a market share of 3%.
Asahi said it believes the acquisition will "enable it to strengthen the product portfolio of its domestic soft drinks business", with the aim of increasing this market share to 10%.
The transaction is expected to close by the end of May. Production is expected to begin from June, while the sale, marketing and distribution of the Oi Shii Mizu products will begin from July.
In February, Asahi Breweries reported a 6% rise in profits for 2009, but drinks sales struggled as an improved overseas presence failed to fully offset falling demand at home in Japan.
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research