JAPAN: Asahi approaches Calpis buyout - report
A Japanese newspaper has reported that Asahi will buy Calpis next month
Asahi Group is said to be on the verge of buying Japanese soft-drinks maker Calpis Co for US$1.2bn.
The story surfaced earlier today (27 April) in the Nikkei newspaper($$$), which cited two unnamed sources close to the deal. The deal would make Asahi the third-largest non-alcoholic drinks maker in Japan if it goes ahead.
The Calpis deal will be announced early next month, the Nikkei sources said.
However, in a statement, the company said it was “considering such a purchase, but nothing specific has been decided”. The company did not respond to a just-drinks request for comment on the report.
Asahi is Japan's fourth-largest soft-drinks maker with 9.9% domestic marketshare, Nikkei reported. The deal would up its share to 12.4%.
Calpis is owned by Ajinomoto Co.
The move would be the latest in a recent spate of mergers and acquisitions by Japanese companies. Last year, Asahi acquired New Zealand's Charlie's Group and gained regulatory approval to acquire Australia's P&N Beverages. It also bought Independent Liquor Group in New Zealand, for NZD1.53bn (JPY98.2bn, US$1.19bn). Also last year, Sapporo acquired all outstanding shares in fellow Japanese food and drink group Pokka.
Japan starts its ten-day Golden Week holiday tomorrow and most businesses will not open again until 7 May.
This third - and penultimate - part of October's management briefing, looking at the logistics landscape, shines the light on Asia Pacific....
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Analysis - Cider's Campaign Gains
- Comment - What on Earth is a Liqueur?
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Pernod Ricard appoints Absolut Vodka VP
- Beam Suntory to re-package Courvoisier Cognac
- TWE, Pernod hail China-Aus FTA
- Brown-Forman looks to raise US$500m
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beer, 2014 and the future