UK: ASA rules Ribena health claims 'exaggerated'
GSK sold the brand to Suntory late last year
Claims made about the health benefits of Ribena were “exaggerated” on the brand’s website and must not appear again, the UK’s advertising authorities have ruled.
A single complainant argued that assertions made about the benefits of vitamin A and C on Ribena’s website were unauthorised, under European Union guidelines on nutrition and health claims. The site said vitamin A “keeps your vision in tip-top condition” and is “important for immunity”. It also said vitamin C “helps immunity” and is an “antioxidant”.
Previous owner GlaxoSmithKline, which was the original advertiser but sold the brand to Suntory late last year, said it reworded the claims to “keep the language understandable and more consumer friendly”. The company said it “believed that the meaning remained faithful to the authorised health claim”.
The ASA acknowledged that there was “some flexibility” in re-wording claims. However, on the vitamin A claim on eyesight, it said that the words "exaggerated the meaning of the authorised claim". The group upheld complaints on all four points.
The ruling said: “The claims must not appear again in their current form. We told GlaxoSmithKline to ensure they retained the meaning of, and did not exaggerate, any authorised health claims if they reworded them to aid consumer understanding.”
To read the full ruling, click here.
Suntory’s surprise takeover of Beam in April 2014 has created the world’s sixth biggest spirits company. Although not currently showing in Euromonitor International data, this profile will look at Sun...
Suntory Beverage & Food Ltd was listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange in 2013, with the aim of financing its global M&A. The company acquired two brands Lucozade and Ribena from GlaxoSmithKline in Septem...
Suntory made a significant move in 2013 with the acquisition of Lucozade and Ribena from GlaxoSmithKline. This has boosted its presence in sports and energy drinks in Western Europe. However, the bran...
Business consolidation, leveraging and enhancing its core brands are the main strategies for Suntory Beverage & Food Ltd. The listed company is now focusing on foods and beverages and on the way to ex...
- Boom time for soft drinks in West Europe?
- Protein interest offers drinks opportunities - NPD
- Patron's lesson for the broader spirits sector
- Inchdairnie and the quiet whisky revolution
- Britvic's H1 Performance by Region - Focus
- Diageo names Javier Ferran as new chairman
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- SABMiller issues currency alert as Africa weakens
- Purity Vodka appoints new CEO
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Keurig Green Mountain in Hot Drinks (World)
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends