UK: ASA rules Budweiser ad linked alcohol to sex
ASA ruled a recent Budweiser radio ad breached its code
The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has upheld a complaint in the UK that a recent radio advert for Anheuser-Busch InBev's Budweiser brand linked alcohol to sexual success.
The ad, broadcast in December, featured a man giving a motivational-style speech to a cheering male crowd. The voice tells the crowd to have no expectations ahead of a night out: “Because it's on nights like tonight that you end up at a party and you don't know a single person who's carrying you on their shoulders.”
He then says, “Gentlemen, you were conceived on a night like tonight,” before urging the crowd to spend two extra minutes in front of the mirror “because you never know who you're going to meet”.
A-B InBev argued the ad drew upon the commonly attributed American values of optimism, free-spiritedness and a positive attitude.
It said the references to beer at the end of the ad were incidental to the main speech and did not suggest that drinking alcohol would bring sexual success, sexual activity or enhanced attractiveness.
In its ruling, ASA said the ad breached BCAP Code rule 19.6 (Alcohol), and must not be aired again in its current form.
The authority said the ad suggested “the group was preparing for an evening where alcohol would be drunk and during which the participants would have a great time, including the possibility of meeting a potential sexual partner".
In September, the ASA ruled against an ad by Del Monte in the UK following a PepsiCo complaint.
In 2011, global soft drinks sales reached 609bn litres, up by 4% over the previous year and continuing a steady upwards trend. At the same time, global consumption continues to evolve, both in terms o...
The future remains bright for the energy drinks category, according to Richard Haffner....
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- Concha y Toro's Q2 by region, brand - Focus
- A step forward in alcohol research? ISFAR 191
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- AB InBev to cull 5,500 jobs after SABMiller buy
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- Beam Suntory's Bowmore 10 Year Old - NPD
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review