UK: ASA rejects complaints over Wells & Young's Estrella Damm ad - video
Wells & Young's has escaped punishment from the UK's advertising watchdog after complaints an ad for Estrella Damm beer linked alcohol to sexual success.
The ad, which can be viewed above, shows a Spanish garden party, with guests drinking Estrella Damm and cooking a large paella. It also shows couples dancing late into the night and a kiss between two of the guests.
Two complaints to the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) were identified, both from the Youth Alcohol Advertising Council, which claimed the ad encouraged irresponsible drinking and linked alcohol to “seduction, sexual activity and sexual success”.
Wells & Young's, which distributes the Grupo Damm-owned Estrella in the UK, denied the charges, saying that the ad's timeline covered a full day, so therefore the amount of beer drunk was not excessive. It also said the kiss during the party was not linked to the consumption of beer and was not portrayed in a sexual or suggestive way.
The ASA agreed and rejected the complaints. “Those drinking were shown doing so in a responsible manner, as they took occasional and controlled sips,” it said. It also ruled that the kiss “was playful and flirtatious in tone, as opposed to sexually charged”.
The Youth Alcohol Advertising Council, part of charity Alcohol Concern, has successfully complained about a number of UK ads this year, including one for Mast-Jägermeister's namesake brand and a Captain Morgan ad from Diageo. Both adverts were banned by the ASA.
The world’s leading spirits producer, Diageo also ranks 23rd in the global wine market. This profile analyses the challenges faced by Diageo’s wine operations, which sit uncomfortably with the company...
Analyses of the leading companies in the alcohol industry...
Beer in Ireland industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contains d...
Spirits in Global industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contains...
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- Diageo's smart Seedlip sustainability move
- Pernod Ricard Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Why Vietnam is the next beer battleground
- Brown-Forman Q1 2017 results - Preview
- AB InBev to cull 5,500 jobs after SABMiller buy
- CEO Paul Schaafsma set to leave Accolade Wines
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- Heineken unveils new mid-strength lager Heineken 3
- US on-premise at "new normal" - research
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review