RUSSIA: Arrest warrant issued for SPI Group head
A court in Moscow yesterday (16 August) issued a warrant for the arrest of Yury Shefler, whose company, the SPI Group, owns the rights to distribute the Stolichnaya vodka brand outside Russia. Pernod handles the distribution of the vodka worldwide, with the exception of Russia.
The court said that Shefler should be arrested on charges including the use of violence against a government official and trademark violations.
The judge at Basmanny District Court was cited by local press as saying: "Information on the personality of the accused gives grounds to assume that if he remains at large he could continue to carry out criminal activities, pressure witnesses and destroy evidence."
State-owned company Soyuzplodoimport, which holds the Stolichnaya trademark in Russia, has been fighting to regain control of the brand's rights since it sold the brand to SPI for US$300,000 in 1997. The market price for just two brands, Stolichnaya and Moskovskaya, was then estimated at nearer US$400m. The state-controlled firm has claimed that Shefler forged and destroyed documents in order to buy Stolichnaya at the lower price. Shefler subsequently moved his operations from Russia to Latvia.
Pernod has confirmed that it has been in discussions with Soyuzplodoimport to settle the row since May last year.
No-one was available for comment at Pernod when contacted by just-drinks today.
Premium and super-premium brands have been important drivers in the growing vodka category for some time but among the key trends forecast in a recent report on the vodka market from just-drinks is th...
In acquiring 50%-ownership and global distribution rights to premium vodka brand Ketel One Diageo confirmed its withdrawal from the auction for Absolut. Moreover, writes Ben Cooper, the move for Ketel...
Belvédère has seen acquisitions in 2007 drive sales for the year to record highs....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Pernod Ricard has confirmed the sale of its Framingham brand, winery and vineyard in New Zealand....
The European Forum for Responsible Drinking (EFRD) and the European Spirits Organisation (CEPS) have joined forces....
Castle Brands has reported a steep rise in net loss for its third fiscal quarter, as falling volumes have hit the bottom line....
Corby Distilleries has posted a lift in both sales and profits for its first half....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Analysts upbeat on Pernod Ricard's US success
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Beam Suntory workers end Jim Beam strike
- Boston Beer Co outlines Samuel Adams innovation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends