UK: Argentina, Chile and South Africa team-up for London wine tastings
South Africa, Chile and Argentina are to launch a combined tasting event next year
Three southern hemisphere wine marketing bodies are combining their annual UK tasting next year to boost interest from “high calibre” European guests.
The event, entitled 'The Beautiful South', to be held next September, will include wine representatives from Argentina, Chile and South Africa, the groups announced today (21 November). Jo Wehring, Wines of South Africa (WoSA) marketing manager, said the collaboration will help keep the tastings fresh and interesting.
“It's such a busy industry these days,” Wehring told just-drinks. “We think this will attract more senior people as it becomes more of a must-attend event.
"We are focused on attracting an audience from Europe, and by bringing the three countries together we have a much stronger story for those buyers and press to come to London.”
Wehring said the combined event is about more than cutting costs. “All three countries have a very positive image in the UK market and Europe so we're at the stage where we can come together and collaborate in a way that ten years ago we couldn't because we were so focused on our own countries' identities,” she said.
Talks were held with other wine-producing southern hemisphere countries such as Australia and New Zealand, Wehring said, and WoSA hopes these wine bodies will join future tastings.
The Beautiful South will be held in Olympia 2, London, on 11 and 12 September 2013. Booking details will be available shortly, organisers said.
A study released last month said global wine output levels are due to hit a 37-year low this year.
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research