MEXICO: Arca Continental posts FY profits jump despite weak volumes
- FY net profits up 18.3% to MXN5.97bn (US$450.5m)
- Net sales up 7.3% to MXN60.36bn
- Operating profits (EBITDA) up 13.1% to MXN12.81bn
- Volumes down 0.4%
Arca saw Q4 volumes dip
Arca Continental has posted a dip in full-year volumes as CSD consumption fell, but the company still saw profits surge.
Latin American's second-largest Coca-Cola bottler said yesterday (19 February) that it boosted net profits in calendar 2013 by 18.3% to MXN5.97bn (US$450.5m). Net sales were up 7.3% to MXN60.36bn while operating profits (EBITDA) rose by 13.1% to MXN12.81bn.
Volumes dipped by 0.4% in the year, with CSDs, which account for 75% of Arca's volumes, falling by 1.4%. The performance marked a sharp turnaround in the category, after sparkling volumes in 2012 jumped by 17.6%.
Q4 results were similar, with net profits up 18.4% to MXN1.28bn and net sales rising by 5.4% to MXN15.31bn. Operating profits (EBITDA) jumped by MXN3.25bn in the three months to the end of December.
Volumes tailed off in the quarter, slipping by 1.5%, causing concern among analysts of trouble ahead. JP Morgan's Alan Alanis said the volumes drop “may lead to pessimism” over 2014's full-year estimates, especially considering a recently-passed sugar tax in Mexico.
Looking ahead, Arca CEO Francisco Garza Egloff said: “In 2014, under a challenging business climate, the actions taken in recent years to improve various areas of our business will allow us to increase our competitiveness and remain well-positioned to capitalise on new opportunities for profitable growth.”
To read the company's full results, click here.
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Pernod Ricard keen to stem Absolut US declines
- Heineken adds to UK on-trade footprint
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research