MEXICO/US: Arbitration panel rules in Grupo Modelo Anheuser-Busch InBev row
The panel found in Anheuser-Busch InBev's favour against Grupo Modelo
The panel, whose decision was announced today (12 July), had been considering Modelo's claim that InBev's purchase of Anheuser-Busch in 2008 breached its agreement with A-B, which holds a non-controlling 50% stake in the Mexican brewer.
The decision finding says that the combination of A-B and InBev “did not violate the investment agreement”, A-B InBev confirmed. No damages or other remedies were awarded.
A-B InBev said it was “grateful to the panel for clarifying that there has been no breach of the investment agreement”.
“(A-B InBev) looks forward to continuing its successful business relationship with Grupo Modelo,” the firm concluded.
Modelo is also in the law courts with Constellation Brands, its partner in Crown Imports in the US. The Mexican firm, which filed the lawsuit late last year, is claiming that it has made up a "disproportionate" amount of marketing expenses for Crown. Constellation moved to play down the riff last week, describing it as "a dispute over financially immaterial items".
Part three of our annual review of the year brings us Chris Mercer's look at how 2010 has treated the world's brewers....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read news stories on just-drinks in 2010....
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- English Gin Breaks Away From its Core Markets
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- SABMiller announces management reshuffle
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Wine in the United Kingdom