SINGAPORE: APB employee faces US$68.5m fraud case
Chia Teck Leng, who joined the company as a financial manager in 1999, now faces 28 charges of defrauding four foreign banks of S$120m (US$68.5m) after getting S$163m credit from them.
The banks include Sweden's Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken AB (S.SEB), Germany's Bayerische Hypo-und Vereinsbank AG (G.BHV) as well as Japan's Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corp and Mizuho Corporate Bank.
Chia is accussed of making the withdrawals after tricking the banks into million dollar credit facilities, by persuading them he was operating on behalf of APB's Singapore subsidiary.
Chia is alleged to have used forged documents, including the forged signatures of top executives within APB, to open and operate the unauthorized bank accounts.
APB, which is a joint-venture between the Dutch brewer Heineken NV and Singapore beverage and property conglomerate Fraser & Neave Ltd, has hired PriceWaterhouseCoopers to investigate the case and assess the financial damage to APB.
Chia remains on remand while the case is being investigated by Singapore's white-collar-crime unit.
Dutch brewer Heineken is rumored to have released a self-chilling beer can....
ING has raised its target for Heineken's share price after analysing the brewer's options to save costs....
Heineken's CEO-in-waiting has no plan to radically alter the brewer's strategy, he said in an interview today....
Heineken has restructured its top management, in a move that includes the retirement of current CEO and chairman Thony Ruys from October this year....
The California Assembly Governmental Organization Committee has passed legislation that would ban the controversial "alcohol without liquid" (AWOL) device, which allows consumers to inhale alcohol by ...
Heineken said yesterday that its Austrian subsidiary Brau Union AG has signed an agreement for the divestment of its Real Estate Division. This division comprises all non-business related real estate ...
Heineken has acquired a 40% stake in a Chinese brewery....
Heineken Espana is looking to invest heavily in a new plant in southern Spain....
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo confirms Australia RTD abv drops
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review