USA: A&P Names Don Sommerville to Chief Marketing Post
The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company, Inc. (A&P, NYSE:GAP) today announced that Don Sommerville has been named Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer, and a member of the Company's Management Executive Committee. Reporting to Christian Haub, President and Chief Executive Officer, Mr. Sommerville succeeds Cheryl Palmer, who was recently named President of the Company's Food Emporium division. Most recently, Mr. Sommerville was President of A&P's Compass Foods division, which operates the Company's Eight O'Clock Coffee business and directs all Corporate Brand development. Said Mr. Haub, "Over the past two years, Don has been instrumental in identifying and implementing the strategies that have successfully advanced our Eight O'Clock Coffee business. I am pleased that he will now lead our strategic marketing effort, working collaboratively with our operating regions, while retaining his responsibility for Eight O'Clock Coffee and Corporate Brand development." Mr. Sommerville joined the Company in 1998 as Vice President & General Manager of Compass Foods, and was named President of the division in August of 1999. Prior to joining A&P, he spent 18 years with the Lipton Company, where he advanced through a number of marketing and sales positions in both the grocery and foodservice trade channels, eventually becoming Director of Marketing. A graduate of Muhlenberg College, Mr. Sommerville holds a Masters in Marketing from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Founded in 1859, A&P was one of the nation's first supermarket chains, and is today one of North America's 10 largest. The Company operates in 15 states, the District of Columbia, and Ontario, Canada under the following trade names: A&P, Waldbaum's, Food Emporium, Super Foodmart, Super Fresh, Farmer Jack, Kohl's, Sav-A-Center, Dominion, The Barn Markets, Food Basics and Ultra Food & Drug.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Pernod Ricard targets at-home drinking
- Molson Coors names UK & Ireland managing director
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends