UK: Another half of growth for Majestic
Majestic Wine has posted a rise in H1 turnover and profits. The UK wine business said today (15 November) that continuing sales growth had helped drive first half net profits up to £3.2m compared with £2.9m last year.
Turnover was up to £74.6m from £69.1m for the same period last year.
In a statement, the company's CEO Tim How said: "Sales growth continues to be most encouraging, with UK like-for-like sales in the six weeks from 28 September to 8 November up 10.4%.
"We are very pleased by Majestic's continued progress and see considerable opportunities for further growth."
The company said that the average bottle price of still wine purchased at Majestic is now £5.46, up from £5.31 last year. The average spend per retail transaction has increased to £110 from £104.
How said: "We have seen strong growth in still wine sales particularly from Italy and Chile, which were featured in our successful "15% off" summer promotion, and also from Bordeaux, South Africa and New Zealand."
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part II: Beer & Cider
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018