SWEDEN: Another dip in sales at Systembolaget
Systembolaget has registered yet another monthly drop in sales. The state alcohol retailing monopoly said yesterday that total alcohol sales for April fell by 7.7% year-on-year.
While spirits sales fell by 18.3%, wine sales also dropped for the month, by 4.9%. Sales of strong beer, the only type of beer Systembolaget sells, followed suit and decreased by 4.9%.
Once again, sales fell markedly in the Vastra Gotland and Varmland counties, which are close to the border with Norway, and in Norrbotten county, near the border with Finland. Systembolaget attributed the decrease to higher alcohol excise duties in Sweden, compared to neighbouring Denmark and Finland.
In October last year, Denmark cut its alcohol tax by 47%. Finland followed suit, cutting tax on alcohol by 40% at the beginning of last month. Both countries decided on the move pending the imminent accession of Poland and the Baltic states to the EU. The former Eastern Bloc countries all have lower alcohol prices than Scandinavia.
The Swedish government was reported earlier this week to be considering reducing taxes on alcohol in the country.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future