US: Anheuser-Busch tight-lipped on BBH stake
Speaking to just-drinks today (15 January), a spokesperson for A-B said: "We have received a good few enquiries, but we cannot comment on rumour or speculation".
Newspaper reports over the weekend suggested that S&N is in negotiations with the US brewer, as well as private equity funds Blackstone and Texas Pacific group to help fund the purchase of Carlsberg's 50% stake in BBH.
Yesterday, a spokesperson for S&N said: "We identified in our presentation (regarding BBH) last week that we were expecting to find high quality interest (in making a joint move for BBH). There has been substantial interest," the spokesperson said, declining to comment more specifically on the matter.
In detailing its claims for BBH last week, S&N said: "(We) envisage introducing a new investor(s) to take a minority position in BBH of up to 25%."
A-B CFO W. Randolph Baker added in a statement: "It is our policy to not confirm, deny or speculate on rumours of potential investments, acquisitions, mergers, new business partnerships or other transactions."
S&N believes that Carlsberg's discussions with Heineken over acquiring the UK brewer have triggered the so-called 'shotgun clause' in their joint venture, a claim Carlsberg has dismissed.
The Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce is set to rule on the row in July. The institute's decision on the matter will be final and binding.
Depending on which side of the argument one listens to, BBH is valued at between GBP4.1bn (US$8.03bn) and GBP4.6bn.
As most of us keeping a close eye on Leuven expected, it was never a matter of if InBev was going to launch a bid for US rival Anheuser-Busch, but when. And that when was late last night (11 June)....
Ten facts about Anheuser-Busch:...
Anheuser-Busch this week responded to speculation about its future in a letter to its employees amidst the ongoing takeover dispute with InBev....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week included news on V&S and A-B and cost pressures at Cott, whilst whisky dominated the spirits headlines....
Anheuser-Busch has extended its marketing relationship with The Chicago Cubs through to 2013....
UK Brewer and pub operator Greene King saw its like-for-like beer sales drop nearly 3% in the off trade, an indication of the current pressure on brewers....
The Coca-Cola Company is to submit a planning application for the building of a manufacturing and innovation facility in Wexford, Ireland....
Pernod Ricard shares have been downgraded to "sell" from "neutral" and the price target reduced to EUR55 from EUR72, according to market sources....
- Comment - Diageo Spins the Guinness Wheel... Again
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Who should Stock Spirits Acquire?
- Diageo lines up UK innovations push
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- Pernod Ricard queries nutritional label use
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Diageo's Guinness Golden Ale
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets