US: Anheuser-Busch silent on board meet rumours
A report in the Financial Times yesterday (19 June) claimed that A-B's board will meet at some point this week to discuss the bid, which offers shareholders US$65 per share. The paper cited sources close to the situation for offering the information.
When contacted by just-drinks, however, Randolph Baker, A-B's vice president and CFO, said: "We understand the high interest surrounding InBev's unsolicited and non-binding proposal. Anheuser-Busch's inability to comment on it at this point should not be interpreted as support for, or opposition to the proposal.
"InBev and others have been discussing the proposal at length, but the Anheuser-Busch board must take the time necessary to conduct a full and fair analysis in consultation with its advisers before addressing the proposal publicly in detail," Baker continued.
"We will not speculate on what the board's response will be."
The brewing sector has seen steady consolidation in recent years and 2008 was certainly no exception. Olly Wehring reviews a year which began with the protracted takeover of S&N by Heineken and Carlsb...
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week....
MillerCoors has bowed to pressure from a coalition of state attourneys general in the US and agreed to remove a range of ingredients, including caffeine, from its Sparks drink....
AmBev has said that it has no knowledge of an investigation into its marketing practices in Brazil, following a local report....
Anheuser-Busch InBev has said it is considering whether to appeal an EU court ruling against its use of the 'Bud' trademark....
A weakening Russian beer market has forced Sun InBev, the Russian subsidiary of brewing giant Anheuser-Busch InBev, to suspend production at its St Petersburg brewery....
Anheuser-Busch InBev has successfully closed a share offering devised to raise more than EUR6bn for InBev's takeover of the US brewing giant....
Czech brewer Budejovický Budvar has successfully challenged Anheuser-Busch InBev's right to the 'Bud' name at an EU court....
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's FY fiscal-2015 - Preview
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research