US: Anheuser-Busch signs Tiger Beer
Anheuser-Busch has continued its assault on the US imported beer category with the signing of Tiger Beer.
The US brewing giant said today (13 March) that the deal would follow similar lines to last month's agreement with Dutch brewer Grolsch.
"Tiger Beer is recognised as one of Asia's finest beer exports," said Anheuser-Busch president August A. Busch IV. "Tiger Beer is a high-quality, premium brand that is a perfect complement to our growing portfolio of import beers."
Koh Poh Tiong, CEO of Tiger Beer owner Asia Pacific Breweries, said Anheuser-Busch was the "right partner" for the brand.
He added: "We share the same views on how the brand should be marketed and positioned in the vast American beer market, and most importantly, Anheuser-Busch shares our passion and excitement for our brand."
Tiger Beer recorded "high, double-digit growth" in the US last year, the brewers said. The deal comes as Anheuser-Busch looks to the US import segment for growth after seeing domestic sales of its mainstream brands stagnate last year. The US import beer segment grew by over 7% last year, Anheuser-Busch said.
The terms of the deal, which come into effect from 1 May, were not disclosed.
Tiger Beer is also set to be relaunched in the UK as part of a GBP5m (US$8.6m) drive to promote the brand's pan-Asian image.
Sectors: Beer & cider
The announcement late last night that Anheuser-Busch is to be InBev’s exclusive distributor in the US looks like a great deal for the Europe-based brewer....
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Anheuser-Busch may have to reinstate workers it dismissed after catching inappropriate behaviour using hidden cameras....
Anheuser-Busch is to follow the US launch of its B(E) beer by rolling out the brand in the UK....
The US brewer Anheuser-Busch said today that it had seen its earnings per share fall 3% in the first quarter of the year, compared to the same period last year as it was hit by difficult trading condi...
Patrick Stokes, president and chief executive officer of Anheuser-Busch Companies, has said that the company's board of directors has declared a regular quarterly dividend....
Berkshire Hathaway Inc., the holding company of billionaire Warren Buffett, has acquired a significant stake in Anheuser-Busch....
Anheuser-Busch has threatened to stop buying rice from Missouri if the state allows genetically modified, drug-making crops to grow within its borders....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- Is sustainability now as important as financials?
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Diageo unveils Blender's Batch in the US
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts