US: Anheuser-Busch shares downgraded
US investment bank Stifel Nicolaus has today (22 September) downgraded Anheuser-Busch to "hold" from "buy", pointing to slower beer sales.
The Budweiser brewer saw sales-to-retailers rise 1.8% during the first half of the year but growth slowed to 0.5% in July and August.
Stripping out sales of the newly-acquired Rolling Rock, beer sales were flat, Stifel analyst Mark Swartzberg said. "We expected a slowdown, but the magnitude has been greater than expected," Swartzberg said.
A-B has seen demand for imported and craft beers in the US eat into sales of its more mainstream brands. However, has signed deals with overseas brewers including Grolsch and Kirin to bolster its presence in these segments.
Swartzberg said he was "confident" that the beer industry will see sales grow but that imports and crafts would prove the engines for the sector.
He said: "We expect 'better beer' - imports and crafts - to remain the category driver."
Miller Brewing has launched a fresh US television campaign that promotes flagship brand Miller Lite as "better beer"....
Anheuser-Busch has revamped the design of its imported beer Michelob in the UK....
The latest review of new drinks products has highlighted a juice-heavy energy drink, a controversially-named coffee and some new packaging innovations....
Redhook Ale and Widmer Brothers Brewing Co. remain locked in talks over a potential merger between the two companies....
The chief executive of Fordham Brewing Co. has said that it was vital for the US niche brewer to join forces with Anheuser-Busch in a growing but competitive craft beer segment. Fordham CEO Bill Muehl...
Anheuser-Busch has teamed up with Maryland-based craft brewer Fordham Brewing Co. to buy its long-rumoured takeover target Old Dominion Brewing Co....
Spanish brewer Grupo Damm has reportedly posted record profits for 2006....
Anheuser-Busch has secured the UK distribution rights to Spanish beer Estrella Damm Barcelona....
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Is sustainability now as important as financials?
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Diageo unveils Blender's Batch in the US
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Travel Retail model "not sustainable" - Pernod CEO
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts