US: Anheuser-Busch InBev warns of more Modelo deal delays after new lawsuit
ABI has flagged it is facing another lawsuit over its proposed deal with Modelo
The lawsuit was filed late last week in a California district court by nine individuals seeking to block the US$20.1bn deal, according to the Belgium-headquartered brewer's annual report. The transaction is already the subject of an anti-trust lawsuit lodged by the US Department of Justice (DoJ) which has delayed its completion.
In a filing to the US Securities and Exchange Commission on Monday, A-B InBev said: “Even if we, Grupo Modelo, Constellation and Crown Imports resolve the litigation with the DoJ, the court in this private action could enjoin the parties from completing the combination with Grupo Modelo, or could further delay it. We intend to defend against it vigorously.”
The private lawsuit is being handled by lawyer Joseph Alitoto, who previously tried to stop the merger of Anheuser-Busch and InBev, Bloomberg reported. The complaint claims that the Modelo deal would impact consumers through higher prices, “elimination of quality, curtailment of innovation, and destruction of consumer choice”.
The Drinktec exhibition is taking place across all of this week in Munich. To coincide with the event, just-drinks' management briefing this month takes a look at the drinks packaging category. In thi...
Anheuser-Busch InBev (A-B InBev) is facing challenges in the mature US beer category by focusing on premium and craft beer. As the US Justice Department precluded A-B InBev from controlling the lucrat...
The Drinktec exhibition is taking place across all of this week in Munich. To coincide with the event, just-drinks' management briefing this month takes a look at the drinks packaging category. Part o...
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- SABMiller edges Diageo as beer trumps spirits
- Stagnant wine growth a concern for Constellation
- Comment - Heineken's move for Pivovarna Lasko
- Will Keurig Kold come to Coca-Cola Co's Rescue?
- Rémy Cointreau eyes recovery after Q4 bounceback
- Chateau Bastor-Lamontagne's So Sauternes
- Bacardi cuts jobs at Global Brands unit
- Carlsberg exec joins Diageo as Africa chief steps
- Diageo targets Millennials with DeLeon ads