US: Anheuser-Busch InBev warns of more Modelo deal delays after new lawsuit
ABI has flagged it is facing another lawsuit over its proposed deal with Modelo
The lawsuit was filed late last week in a California district court by nine individuals seeking to block the US$20.1bn deal, according to the Belgium-headquartered brewer's annual report. The transaction is already the subject of an anti-trust lawsuit lodged by the US Department of Justice (DoJ) which has delayed its completion.
In a filing to the US Securities and Exchange Commission on Monday, A-B InBev said: “Even if we, Grupo Modelo, Constellation and Crown Imports resolve the litigation with the DoJ, the court in this private action could enjoin the parties from completing the combination with Grupo Modelo, or could further delay it. We intend to defend against it vigorously.”
The private lawsuit is being handled by lawyer Joseph Alitoto, who previously tried to stop the merger of Anheuser-Busch and InBev, Bloomberg reported. The complaint claims that the Modelo deal would impact consumers through higher prices, “elimination of quality, curtailment of innovation, and destruction of consumer choice”.
The Drinktec exhibition is taking place across all of this week in Munich. To coincide with the event, just-drinks' management briefing this month takes a look at the drinks packaging category. In thi...
Anheuser-Busch InBev (A-B InBev) is facing challenges in the mature US beer category by focusing on premium and craft beer. As the US Justice Department precluded A-B InBev from controlling the lucrat...
The Drinktec exhibition is taking place across all of this week in Munich. To coincide with the event, just-drinks' management briefing this month takes a look at the drinks packaging category. Part o...
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Heineken to cut jobs in global shake-up
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly