BELGIUM: Anheuser-Busch InBev silent on CEE sale withdrawal claim
Anheuser-Busch InBev has refused to be drawn on reports claiming that it will scrap the sale of its brewing operations in Central and Eastern Europe.
The global brewer, which has not commented on claims that it is considering offloading several of its Central and Eastern Europe brewing assets, has received only one bid for its operations in the region, the Financial Times said earlier this week.
Only private equity group CVC Capital Partners is thought to have bid for the assets, which include 11 breweries in Bulgaria, Romania, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Croatia, Serbia and Montenegro, one person close to the situation told the paper.
The bid from CVC ahead of a late-July deadline is thought to be for between EUR1bn (US$1.41bn) and EUR1.5bn, but the source told the Financial Times that A-B InBev may now favour dropping the sale.
When contacted by just-drinks today (31 July), a spokesperson for A-B InBev said: "We do not comment on speculation."
The brewer has already offloaded its South Korean brewer, Oriental Brewery, for US$1.8bn, while recent speculation has suggested the sale of A-B InBev's Scottish beer brand, Tennent's.
The company has embarked on a de-leveraging programme this year , introduced to help pay back a $7bn bridge loan taken out to help finance InBev's $52bn acquisition of Anheuser-Busch late last year.
Trade unions in Belgium claimed victory last night as they agreed to end worker blockades of Anheuser-Busch InBev breweries in return for talks with the group on alternatives to its proposed job cuts ...
Carlsberg has secured a swift end to a strike by workers in its native Denmark....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Protein interest offers drinks opportunities - NPD
- Boom time for soft drinks in West Europe?
- Patron's lesson for the broader spirits sector
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Rum "yet to maximise" GTR potential - Bacardi
- Leelex to open Portobello Road gin distillery
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Keurig Green Mountain in Hot Drinks (World)
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends