BELGIUM/MEXICO: Anheuser-Busch InBev seals US$20.1bn Modelo deal
The drawn-out deal completed today
The Budweiser brewer confirmed in a statement that Modelo will be "fully integrated" into its financial reporting as of today (4 June). A-B InBev finalised a tender offer for 95% of the Mexican brewer's shares late last week.
The deal was the subject of an anti-trust lawsuit filed by the US Department of Justice, which was settled in April. The tie-up also faced a last-minute threat by a group of nine consumers, who had separately filed a lawsuit over anti-trust concerns.
As a result of the DoJ lawsuit, A-B InBev was forced to agree to a number of concessions, including selling Modelo's Piedras Negras brewery to Constellation Brands. The US wine and spirits wholesaler will also take on the rights to Modelo's brands in the US in perpuity and its 50% stake in Crown Imports.
These transactions are expected to complete on Friday (7 June), A-B InBev said.
Carlos Brito, A-B InBev's CEO, said today: “We have tremendous respect for Grupo Modelo and its brands, and we are thrilled to welcome our Grupo Modelo colleagues to the global team.
"We look forward to realising our opportunities for growth and bringing our beers to more consumers around the world as we join two world-class brewers.”
Anheuser-Busch InBev Germany’s strategic direction is mainly in line with the international parent company and the company does not have a lot of room for self-governance. Partial autonomy is granted,...
AB InBev France SAS is strongly positioned in speciality, abbey-style dark beer in France and it is expected to maintain its stronghold in this category through innovation, continuing to launch new sp...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research