US: Anheuser-Busch InBev rejects 'watering down' claims
Budweiser is among the brands A-B InBev has been accused of 'watering down', which it denies
Anheuser-Busch InBev has strongly denied claims in lawsuits lodged in three US states that it has “watered down” its beers.
The lawsuits, filed in San Francisco, Philiadelphia and New Jersey, says the allegations are based on information from former employees and involves ten brands, including Budweiser and Michelob, the BBC reported. "Our information comes from former employees at Anheuser-Busch, who have informed us that, as a matter of corporate practice, all of their products mentioned (in the lawsuit) are watered down," lead lawyer Josh Boxer was cited as saying.
Other lawsuits are due to be lodged in Ohio and Colorado, Bloomberg reported.
However, the brewer rejected the accusations. In a statement sent to just-drinks today (27 February), Peter Kraemer, VP of brewing & supply at Anheuser-Busch, said: "The claims...are completely false, and this lawsuit is groundless. Our beers are in full compliance with all alcohol labeling laws."
The brewer spoke out last year after a magazine article suggested it had changed the recipe for Budweiser in the US.
Earlier today, A-B InBev reported a jump in full-year profits and sales, despite on-going struggles in Europe.
Anheuser-Busch InBev (A-B InBev) is facing challenges in the mature US beer category by focusing on premium and craft beer. As the US Justice Department precluded A-B InBev from controlling the lucrat...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report