US: Anheuser-Busch InBev rejects 'watering down' claims
Budweiser is among the brands A-B InBev has been accused of 'watering down', which it denies
Anheuser-Busch InBev has strongly denied claims in lawsuits lodged in three US states that it has “watered down” its beers.
The lawsuits, filed in San Francisco, Philiadelphia and New Jersey, says the allegations are based on information from former employees and involves ten brands, including Budweiser and Michelob, the BBC reported. "Our information comes from former employees at Anheuser-Busch, who have informed us that, as a matter of corporate practice, all of their products mentioned (in the lawsuit) are watered down," lead lawyer Josh Boxer was cited as saying.
Other lawsuits are due to be lodged in Ohio and Colorado, Bloomberg reported.
However, the brewer rejected the accusations. In a statement sent to just-drinks today (27 February), Peter Kraemer, VP of brewing & supply at Anheuser-Busch, said: "The claims...are completely false, and this lawsuit is groundless. Our beers are in full compliance with all alcohol labeling laws."
The brewer spoke out last year after a magazine article suggested it had changed the recipe for Budweiser in the US.
Earlier today, A-B InBev reported a jump in full-year profits and sales, despite on-going struggles in Europe.
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Diageo gets 2016 off to a strong start - Analysis
- With MegaBrew sorted, is MegaBev next? - Research
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- Bacardi ups ante in US Havana Club row
- The US is "the first place I look" - Diageo CEO
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research