US: Anheuser-Busch InBev rejects 'watering down' claims
Budweiser is among the brands A-B InBev has been accused of 'watering down', which it denies
Anheuser-Busch InBev has strongly denied claims in lawsuits lodged in three US states that it has “watered down” its beers.
The lawsuits, filed in San Francisco, Philiadelphia and New Jersey, says the allegations are based on information from former employees and involves ten brands, including Budweiser and Michelob, the BBC reported. "Our information comes from former employees at Anheuser-Busch, who have informed us that, as a matter of corporate practice, all of their products mentioned (in the lawsuit) are watered down," lead lawyer Josh Boxer was cited as saying.
Other lawsuits are due to be lodged in Ohio and Colorado, Bloomberg reported.
However, the brewer rejected the accusations. In a statement sent to just-drinks today (27 February), Peter Kraemer, VP of brewing & supply at Anheuser-Busch, said: "The claims...are completely false, and this lawsuit is groundless. Our beers are in full compliance with all alcohol labeling laws."
The brewer spoke out last year after a magazine article suggested it had changed the recipe for Budweiser in the US.
Earlier today, A-B InBev reported a jump in full-year profits and sales, despite on-going struggles in Europe.
Anheuser-Busch InBev (A-B InBev) is facing challenges in the mature US beer category by focusing on premium and craft beer. As the US Justice Department precluded A-B InBev from controlling the lucrat...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets