UK: Anheuser-Busch InBev praises Budweiser performance
Budweiser in form ahead of World Cup
Strong gains for Budweiser in the UK provided the highlight in a tough start to 2010 for Anheuser-Busch InBev in western markets.
Budweiser sales by volume in the country rose by more than 40% in the three months to the end of March, compared with the same period of 2009, A-B InBev said today (5 May).
The rise helped the brewer to increase own-beer volume sales by 1% in the UK, against a beer market down by around 5% for the period.
One source familiar with A-B InBev's Stag brewery in London told just-drinks last month that, despite the facility's planned closure, it has "never been so busy" producing Budweiser.
The brand is the official beer of the FIFA World Cup and A-B InBev has begun a range of promotions in the UK around the tournament.
Budweiser's success in the UK provided a rare high point in a tough quarter for A-B InBev in western markets. Group volumes slipped by 9% in Belgium, 5% in Germany and by 6% in the US.
"We are not satisfied with our overall market share performance," said the group, but added that it expects some increase in demand in these markets in the second half of 2010.
For more on A-B InBev's first quarter results, click here.
How Innovative Packaging is Transforming the Global Drinks Industry...
We fully intend to keep an eye on how things develop here in the UK with Grupo Modelo's Corona Extra bottled beer brand....
Here's a run-down of some of the top reports currently available in the just-drinks research store:...
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future