US: Anheuser-Busch InBev plans hard cider launch
The logo for Johnny Appleseed - A-B InBev's new hard cider brand launching next year
Anheuser-Bush InBev is aiming to capitalise on the growing US cider market with a new brand launch next year, just-drinks can reveal.
The hard cider, called Johnny Appleseed, will start launching across channels from 7 April, the company told staff in a memo today (25 November). The product will target 21-to 27-year-old “millenial experience maximisers”, the group said.
The drink, which has been in development since 2011, will also be released in draught nationally in the US in June.
The brand will benefit from “significant marketing support”, it added. Johnny Appleseed will come in six-packs of 12oz bottles, 12-packs of 12oz bottles, 16oz cans and 25oz cans.
The abv of the product is not being revealed at this stage, a spokesperson told just-drinks.
In a statement, Paul Chibe, Anheuser-Busch's US marketing VP, said: “We can confirm our new hard apple cider, Johnny Appleseed, will make its US debut in spring 2014."
Earlier this year, A-B InBev rolled out its Stella Artois Cidre brand to the US, after significant success in the UK.
Its rival, Miller Coors also announced plans in August to launch a hard cider in the US to take advantage of the growing category.
Anheuser-Busch InBev Germany’s strategic direction is mainly in line with the international parent company and the company does not have a lot of room for self-governance. Partial autonomy is granted,...
C&C Group is looking to differentiate its Woodchuck cider brand from major new launches in the US market by upping its focus on craft consumers....
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Craft more about stories than M&A for Diageo
- Diageo readies "not quite as sincere" Scotch
- The Glenlivet leapfrogs Glenfiddich
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review