VIETNAM: Anheuser-Busch InBev plans brewery build
A-B InBev is planning a brewery in Vietnam, it has been reported
Anheuser-Busch InBev is planning to build a brewery in Vietnam to capitalise on the country's fast-expanding beer market.
The brewer confirmed to just-drinks today (26 April) that it has acquired a licence to build a brewery in Vietnam and expects the facility to be fully operational by the end of next year at the latest.
"The decision to build a brewery in Vietnam underscores A-B InBev’s belief in the long term growth potential of the Vietnamese market," a spokesperson told just-drinks.
A-B InBev CEO Carlos Brito was reported as telling media after the company's annual shareholder meeting earlier this week: "We think our global brands have a big appeal, especially Budweiser ... so we think it's a natural place to go after our position in China."
SABMiller and Heineken already have their own breweries in Vietnam. The country is the second-largest market by volume for Heineken's flagship lager brand. Meanwhile, rumours emerged last year that SABMiller and Heineken were separately considering taking a stake in the state-owned Saigon Beer Alcohol Beverage Corporation (Sabeco).
Last year, Carlsberg was given the go-ahead to raise its stake in the government-controlled Hanoi Alcohol Beer and Beverage Corporation (Habeco) to 30%.
Earlier today, Heineken reported a fall in Q3 net profits and flat sales in the first nine months of 2013. Here, just-drinks takes a closer look at the group's performance by region:...
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends