US: Anheuser-Busch InBev newspaper ads dismiss watering down claims
A-B InBev has rejected the claims in the lawsuits
Anheuser-Busch InBev has gone on the attack over claims that it is watering down its beers by placing full-page adverts in newspapers across the US.
The ad, which appeared in around ten national newspapers yesterday (3 March), featured a can of drinking water, with the slogan: “They must have tested one of these,”. The campaign is in response to lawsuits filed in three US states last week alleging that some of the group’s products, including Budweiser, contain less than the stated alcohol content.
Lawyers acting for the claimants say their information comes from former A-B InBev employees.
The brewer has rejected the allegations as “completely false”.
Yesterday’s ad pointed to the fact that A-B InBev has donated around 71m cans of drinking water to the American Red Cross.
The ad concluded: “The Anheuser-Busch logo is our ironclad guarantee that the beer in your hand is the best beer we know how to brew. We take no shortcuts and make no exceptions. Ever.”
In an emailed statement to just-drinks today, an A-B InBev spokesperson added: "Our employees proudly brew our beers to the highest standards, as we have for 150 years,and the recent lawsuit is groundless."
The company also flagged, via its Budweiser Twitter feed, tests by media outlets verifying the alcohol content of its beers.
MillerCoors' plans to launch a new, high-strength "golden" lager may not be surprising on one level, but the wider trend is puzzling....
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research