Anheuser-Busch InBev moves into craft cider with Virtue Cider buy
Virtue Cider was founded by a former Goose Island brewmaster
Anheuser-Busch InBev has taken majority control of Michigan cider maker Virtue Cider.
The acquisition is the first in the cider category for A-B InBev's expanding high-end division, which is led by craft brewer Goose Island. Financial details of the deal have not been disclosed, but Goose Island, which is also based in Michigan, is named as the majority shareholder.
Virtue Cider founders Gregory Hall - a former brewmaster at Goose Island - and Stephen Schmakel will continue to be the “creative and operational team” behind the business, A-B InBev said.
“We're excited to welcome Greg Hall back into the Goose Island family,” said Goose Island's GM, Ken Stout. “Virtue Cider produces amazing barrel-aged ciders and with our combined resources we look forward to innovating and growing the business together.”
Virtue Cider will continue production in Fennville, Michigan but will use facilities at Goose Island's Fulton Street brewery for packaging needs, including bottling and kegging, and as a hub for increased distribution, A-B InBev said.
A-B InBev already owns a cider through its Stella Artois Cidre brand, which gained full US distribution at the start of last year.
Anheuser-Busch InBev NV has an extensive strategic policy having just bought the American company SABMiller in 2015....
Anheuser-Busch InBev’s top domestic priorities in 2016 are to expand its premium beer offerings whilst elevating consumer sentiment towards core brands....
The report provides a review of the mergers and acquisitions (M&As), partnering deals, and agreements entered into by companies active in the global spirits market during January....
Launched in 2012, Anheuser-Busch InBev’s Bud Light Rita’s explosive rise in malt-based RTDs propelled total RTDs/high-strength premixes growth in 2012 and 2013, but as consumers have grown exhausted w...
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits