UK: Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up UK brewery closure
The UK arm of Inbev has confirmed that it intends to close the Stag brewery in London, owned by recently-acquired Anheuser-Busch.
The unit said today (6 January) that it has begun a formal consultation on "synergies arising from the merger and a restructure of the company's operations in the UK, with a potential reduction in the number of roles". The consultation includes a proposal to close the brewery, located in Mortlake in south-west London, in 2010.
The brewery became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Anheuser-Busch in 1997, prior to that it was a joint venture between A-B and Scottish Courage. There are currently 182 employees at the facility.
"This consultation is also a response to challenging market conditions and significantly higher costs imposed as a result of record rises in beer taxation, which mean that we need to review and propose any changes now," InBev UK said.
A-B's Budweiser brand will continue to be brewed at the Stag brewery until further notice. "We remain committed to investing in Budweiser and ensuring the long-term competitiveness of our business," the unit added.
The official consultation is due to start with employees on 12 January.
Last month, A-B Inbev confirmed that it will cut up to 1,400 jobs in the US as part of the group's integration plan. The cuts represent 6% of A-B InBev's US workforce and three quarters of the job losses will come from A-B's St Louis headquarters.
Anheuser-Busch InBev has agreed to sell four beverage can plants to Ball, the global packaging giant, for US$577m....
Czech brewer Pivovary Staropramen, part of Anheuser-Busch InBev, has reported a 50% drop in profits for 2008....
Anheuser-Busch InBev has established an American Depositary Receipt (ADR) programme in the US in order to secure greater investment in the brewer's North American business....
Read the top ten stories published on just-drinks this week....
Anheuser-Busch InBev has denied reports that it is looking into ways to consolidate its network of beer distributors in the US....
Anheuser-Busch InBev has declined to comment on speculation that it has received a bid for its Central and Eastern European operations....
Asahi Breweries is to shift focus from sales marketing and production of domestic brand beer in China from Yantai beer to support the Tsingtao beer brand....
United Wineries has expanded its UK team with two appointments....
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- What do Brewers need from the UK Government?
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Diageo ditches Shui Jing Fang plans in China
- William Grant partners Rugby World Cup
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- MillerCoors changes CMOs with immediate effect
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research