US: Anheuser-Busch InBev hits out at Budweiser role in Hollywood film
A-B InBev is unhappy with the use of Budweiser in the film
Anheuser-Busch InBev has said it is “disappointed” that Budweiser has been used in a new Hollywood film featuring an alcoholic lead character, and noted that it had “no knowledge” the brand would be used.
Actor Denzel Washington, who plays the lead in Flight, is reportedly seen drinking beer and vodka throughout the film, which was released in the US on Friday. At one point, he is shown drinking Budweiser while driving, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
In a statement to just-drinks today (6 November), Rob McCarthy, Budweiser's VP said: “Anheuser-Busch had no knowledge of the use or portrayal of Budweiser during production or post-production of the Paramount film, Flight, and was never contacted by the studio.
He added: “We would never condone the misuse of our products, and have a long history of promoting responsible drinking and preventing drunk driving.
“It is disappointing that Image Movers, the production company, and Paramount chose to use one of our brands in this manner.”
An A-B InBev spokesperson said the company has asked Paramount to “obscure the Budweiser trademark in current digital copies of the movie and on all subsequent adaptations of the film”.
Meanwhile, Heineken has experienced varying degrees of publicity for its commerical tie-up with the new James Bond film, Skyfall.
I can't remember precisely when I first saw the BRIC acronym. Indeed, with only ten years' experience of the drinks industry, it seems to be have been around longer than I have. I can remember, howeve...
FEMSA is the leading bottling company for The Coca-Cola Co in Mexico and globally. The company also manages a large retailing division under the OXXO brand with over 10,000 stores across the country a...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report