US: Anheuser-Busch InBev hits out at Budweiser role in Hollywood film
A-B InBev is unhappy with the use of Budweiser in the film
Anheuser-Busch InBev has said it is “disappointed” that Budweiser has been used in a new Hollywood film featuring an alcoholic lead character, and noted that it had “no knowledge” the brand would be used.
Actor Denzel Washington, who plays the lead in Flight, is reportedly seen drinking beer and vodka throughout the film, which was released in the US on Friday. At one point, he is shown drinking Budweiser while driving, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
In a statement to just-drinks today (6 November), Rob McCarthy, Budweiser's VP said: “Anheuser-Busch had no knowledge of the use or portrayal of Budweiser during production or post-production of the Paramount film, Flight, and was never contacted by the studio.
He added: “We would never condone the misuse of our products, and have a long history of promoting responsible drinking and preventing drunk driving.
“It is disappointing that Image Movers, the production company, and Paramount chose to use one of our brands in this manner.”
An A-B InBev spokesperson said the company has asked Paramount to “obscure the Budweiser trademark in current digital copies of the movie and on all subsequent adaptations of the film”.
Meanwhile, Heineken has experienced varying degrees of publicity for its commerical tie-up with the new James Bond film, Skyfall.
I can't remember precisely when I first saw the BRIC acronym. Indeed, with only ten years' experience of the drinks industry, it seems to be have been around longer than I have. I can remember, howeve...
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research