AUSTRIA: Anheuser-Busch InBev gets Bud injunction lifted
Anheuser-Busch InBev sees precedent in Austrian Bud ruling
A court in Vienna has officially eliminated a 12-year-old injunction against A-B InBev using the term 'American Bud' to describe its beers in the country. It means that the US Budweiser brewer has won the latest round of its long-running trademark battle with Czech brewer Budejovický Budvar, which also brews beer named Budweiser.
"We are very pleased with the decisions of both the Austrian Supreme Court and the Vienna trial court," said a spokesperson for A-B InBev today (27 October). "Not only do these positive rulings set a favorable precedent, they also open up the Austrian market to A-B InBev’s use of the Bud trademark in Austria."
It is two years since the European Court of Justice (ECJ) ruled that Budejovicky Budvar does not have an exclusive rights to the name "Bud" in Austria. The Court rejected Budvar's defence that a 1976 trade agreement between Austria and Czechoslovakia enshrined its exclusive right to the term 'Bud'.
Earlier this year, and in a separate case, the ECJ continued in the same vein by saying that the EU General Court was wrong when, in 2008, it blocked A-B InBev from securing trademark rights on 'Bud' in all 27 EU member states.
Anheuser-Busch InBev has squeezed Heineken out of the Dominican Republic via its deal to gain control of the country's largest brewer, Ceverceria Nacional Dominicana (CND)....
C&C Group has added two non-executive directors to its board as it looks to bring "international market expertise" on-board....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review