UK: Anheuser-Busch InBev delays brewery closure
Anheuser-Busch InBev to maintain Stag brewery until at least end of 2014.
Anheuser-Busch InBev has delayed the closure of its Stag brewery in the UK until at least 2014, citing strong consumer demand for Budweiser in the country.
The brewery, based in Mortlake near London, was originally supposed to close in 2010, but received a reprieve from A-B InBev. At the end of last week, after several months of uncertainty, the group said that it has further postponed the closure.
"Given the very strong performance of Budweiser in the UK, we have decided to postpone the closure of the Stag brewery in the short-term," it said. "The site will remain open until at least the end of 2014."
Despite the reprieve for the brewery, A-B InBev said that it has opened a consultation with employees that could lead to the loss of up to 23 jobs from the site's 119-strong workforce.
It added: "Fundamental issues with the site mean that it remains our intention to close the Stag Brewery in time." just-drinks understands that there is little potential to expand the existing site.
A-B InBev has two other breweries in the UK, at Magor in Wales and at Samlesbury in north-west England. A spokesperson for the brewer told just-drinks that Budweiser is already brewed at these facilities.
In 2010, A-B InBev said that the UK and China drove a 1.7% increase in global Budweiser sales by volume. Budweiser volumes rose by 36% in a shrinking UK beer market during the year, albeit off a small base.
They've been arguing for more than 100 years, but are we in danger of reaching some sort of clarity on the Budweiser trademark dispute in Europe?...
Carlsberg has signed a deal to distribute Warsteiner beer in Ukraine....
Craft Brewers Alliance has reiterated its confidence in the continuing rise of craft beer in the US, after reporting rises in nine-month sales and profits....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018