US: Anheuser-Busch InBev, Constellation Brands in talks with DoJ over Grupo Modelo buy
A-B InBev is bidding to take control of Grupo Modelo, but faces a delay
Anheuser-Busch InBev and Constellation Brands are conferring with the US authorities over the Grupo Modelo deal, with all parties aiming to delay legal proceedings in the anti-trust case until next month.
The two companies said late yesterday (20 February) that they are “engaged in discussions” with the Department of Justice (DoJ), along with Grupo Modelo, in a bid to resolve issues over the US$20.1bn deal. Last month, the DoJ filed an anti-trust lawsuit against A-B InBev's proposed acquisition of Modelo over concerns the move would lessen competiton in the US beer market and inflate prices.
But, A-B InBev and Constellation said in separate statements yesterday that, along with the DoJ, they will ask the court for a halt in all legal proceedings until 19 March.
Earlier this month, Constellation applied to be involved in the high-profile case. The company is set to take full control of its US JV with Modelo once A-B InBev completes its takeover.
Both companies said there are no guarantees the discussions with the DoJ will be “successful”, but Constellation added that it “believes that the revised transaction resolves the concerns raised in the DoJ's complaint”.
Both Constellation and A-B InBev have previously spoken out against the lawsuit.
In a bid to satisfy concerns A-B InBev last week announced a string of concessions, including the sale of Modelo's Piedras Negras brewery and the US rights to all the Mexican brewer's brands in perpuity to Constellation.
Anheuser-Busch InBev (A-B InBev) is facing challenges in the mature US beer category by focusing on premium and craft beer. As the US Justice Department precluded A-B InBev from controlling the lucrat...
Frigorífico Modelo SA is engaged in a wide range of activities, including the production of fruit/vegetable juice; however, this is not the company’s main focus. In terms of its fruit/vegetable juice ...
The company faced a period of uncertainty at the end of 2012 regarding its future in the midst of A-B InBev and Constellation Brands’ merger discussions. Eventually, in February 2013, all parties reac...
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages