UK: Anheuser-Busch InBev avoids Stella Artois advert ban
Campaign group Alcohol Concern complained to the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) that the Stella advert breaches the rules by linking alcohol with sexual success, as well as "daring" behaviour.
The ad, set on the French Riviera, features a young man rubbing sun tan cream onto the shoulders of a woman beside a pool. When the woman's husband arrives, looking angry, the young man loses his balance and falls over the balcony edge. Falling through washing lines, he lands on the street dressed in a suit, catching the eye of four women outside a cafe.
The man then enters the cafe and orders a Stella 4% abv. The angry husband soon arrives at the door, but appears placated after seeing the young man with a Stella in hand and also wearing a pair of red stilettos. "Triple filtered with a smooth outcome," says a voiceover at the end of the ad.
In its ruling, the ASA said there was no suggestion that the young man's success with the woman was linked to drinking Stella.
It added that there was no suggestion of the man being drunk when he fell from the balcony.
InBev UK, in its defence, said that the ad was "intended to be an amusing tale of chance encounter and misplaced jealousy set on the French Riviera".
The ad, it said, "copied the style of 1960s French cinema in which actors adopted a more exaggerated and dramatic acting style using facial expressions and gestures".
See the top ten stories published on just-drinks this week....
Private equity group CVC Capital Partners still intends to acquire Anheuser-Busch InBev brewing assets in Eastern Europe, just-drinks understands....
InBev UK, the divsion of Anheuser-Busch InBev, is to launch an advertising campaign for its alcohol-free Beck's Blue brand....
The CEO of Canada's Brick Brewing Company has told just-drinks his business will "aggressively defend" an intellectual property lawsuit brought by Anheuser-Busch InBev....
Brewing conglomerate Anheuser-Busch InBev is set to begin trading on the New York Stock Exchange this week....
Vermont Spirits has secured distribution for its vodka portfolio in New York State in the US....
Czech brewer Budejovicky Budvar does not have an exclusive right to the name "Bud" in EU member states, the European Court of Justice (ECJ) has ruled....
Anheuser-Busch has expanded the number of test markets for its Select 55 beer brand in the US....
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Interview: Distell Vineyards & Estates' CEO
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Diageo unveils Ciroc in Times Square push
- NPD - DeLeon Tequila's Platinum and Reposado
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research