US/MEXICO: Anheuser-Busch InBev agrees to buy remaining Grupo Modelo stake for US$20bn
Grupo Modelo has agreed to sell to A-B InBev
Under the deal, announced this morning (29 June), A-B InBev will pay US$9.15 per share in cash. Separately, Grupo Modelo will sell its 50% stake in Crown Imports LLC to Constellation Brands for US$1.85bn.
Grupo Modelo's name will be retained and its headquarters will remain in Mexico City, A-B InBev confirmed. The Budwesier brewer said it expected the combination to yield annual synergies of "at least US$600m".
Carlos Brito, A-B InBev's CEO, said: “There is tremendous opportunity from combining two leading brand portfolios and further expanding Grupo Modelo’s brands worldwide through AB InBev’s extensive global distribution network."
Carlos Fernández, Grupo Modelo's chairman and CEO said today: “We have worked together with Anheuser-Busch InBev in a productive decades-long partnership, and it is time to cement our relationship through this merger.”
The deal is expected to complete in the first quarter of 2013.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read Hot Topics on just-drinks in 2012....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read news stories on just-drinks in 2012....
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research