US/MEXICO: Anheuser-Busch InBev agrees to buy remaining Grupo Modelo stake for US$20bn
Grupo Modelo has agreed to sell to A-B InBev
Under the deal, announced this morning (29 June), A-B InBev will pay US$9.15 per share in cash. Separately, Grupo Modelo will sell its 50% stake in Crown Imports LLC to Constellation Brands for US$1.85bn.
Grupo Modelo's name will be retained and its headquarters will remain in Mexico City, A-B InBev confirmed. The Budwesier brewer said it expected the combination to yield annual synergies of "at least US$600m".
Carlos Brito, A-B InBev's CEO, said: “There is tremendous opportunity from combining two leading brand portfolios and further expanding Grupo Modelo’s brands worldwide through AB InBev’s extensive global distribution network."
Carlos Fernández, Grupo Modelo's chairman and CEO said today: “We have worked together with Anheuser-Busch InBev in a productive decades-long partnership, and it is time to cement our relationship through this merger.”
The deal is expected to complete in the first quarter of 2013.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read Hot Topics on just-drinks in 2012....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read news stories on just-drinks in 2012....
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Interview - Seedlip founder, Ben Branson
- Customisable drinks - The next consumer trend
- Carlsberg to close UK distribution arm
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- Major spirits M&A remains out of sight - analyst
- C&C Group will be a Brexit victim - analyst
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater packaging revamp
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends