MEXICO/US: Anheuser-Busch InBev admits to Grupo Modelo discussions
Could Anheuser-Busch InBev be poised to make a move for all-out control of Grupo Modelo?
Reports late yesterday (24 June) claimed that A-B InBev, which owns a 50% non-controlling stake in the Mexican brewer, is poised to spend in the region of US$12bn on upping its holding. The Wall Street Journal cited unnamed sources close to the matter in its coverage.
The speculation has prompted A-B InBev to issue a statement this afternoon. In it, the brewer said that discussions have taken place between the two.
“A-B InBev routinely considers a variety of strategic options to create value for its shareholders,” the company said. “There have been discussions between the company and Grupo Modelo regarding a possible transaction to expand its current relationship. These discussions may or may not lead to a transaction.”
No-one was available for comment at Grupo Modelo when contacted by just-drinks.
To read the statement, click here.
For just-drinks' round-up of coverage of the speculation, click here.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read Hot Topics on just-drinks in 2012....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read news stories on just-drinks in 2012....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Diageo unveils Blender's Batch in the US
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts