CHINA: Anheuser-Busch InBev acquires Chinese brewer
Anheuser-Busch InBev expands in China
Anheuser-Busch InBev has confirmed that it has signed a deal to acquire full control of the Liaoning Dalian Daxue Brewery Co in China.
Anheuser-Busch InBev will acquire 100% of of Liaoning Dalian Daxue Brewery for an undisclosed fee, a spokesperson for the Budweiser and Stella Artois brewer told just-drinks today (18 February). The Belgium-based brewer will acquire 25% of the Chinese brewer from Japan's Kirin Holdings and the rest from Dalian Daxue Group Ltd.
"This acquisition is part of A-B InBev’s strategy for expanding its footprint in China," said A-B InBev. "It will complement our existing presence in China and bolster our position in Liaoning, China’s fourth largest province in terms of beer consumption."
Daxue brewery, originally established in 2001, is one of the top three breweries in Liaoning province, with sales volumes of around 2m hectolitres in 2010.
Following InBev's $52bn takeover of Anheuser-Busch in late 2008, the newly-formed A-B InBev sold off its 27% stake in China's Tsingtao Brewery in two separate tranches during 2009. The Budweiser brewer has, instead, sought to build its business independently in the country.
Is Kirin Holdings' increasingly messy deal for Schincariol a sign of things to come in global brewing?...
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future