CHINA: Anheuser-Busch InBev acquires Chinese brewer
Anheuser-Busch InBev expands in China
Anheuser-Busch InBev has confirmed that it has signed a deal to acquire full control of the Liaoning Dalian Daxue Brewery Co in China.
Anheuser-Busch InBev will acquire 100% of of Liaoning Dalian Daxue Brewery for an undisclosed fee, a spokesperson for the Budweiser and Stella Artois brewer told just-drinks today (18 February). The Belgium-based brewer will acquire 25% of the Chinese brewer from Japan's Kirin Holdings and the rest from Dalian Daxue Group Ltd.
"This acquisition is part of A-B InBev’s strategy for expanding its footprint in China," said A-B InBev. "It will complement our existing presence in China and bolster our position in Liaoning, China’s fourth largest province in terms of beer consumption."
Daxue brewery, originally established in 2001, is one of the top three breweries in Liaoning province, with sales volumes of around 2m hectolitres in 2010.
Following InBev's $52bn takeover of Anheuser-Busch in late 2008, the newly-formed A-B InBev sold off its 27% stake in China's Tsingtao Brewery in two separate tranches during 2009. The Budweiser brewer has, instead, sought to build its business independently in the country.
Is Kirin Holdings' increasingly messy deal for Schincariol a sign of things to come in global brewing?...
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- A snapshot of the UK spirits market - Focus
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends