US: Anheuser-Busch in hidden camera case
Anheuser-Busch may have to reinstate workers it dismissed after catching inappropriate behaviour using hidden cameras. A federal appeals court said yesterday (5 July) that the company had committed an unfair labour practice when it installed the cameras at one of its St. Louis brewing facilities in 1998 before bargaining with the union, Brewers and Maltsters, Local Union No. 6, as required under federal labour laws.
In 1998, the brewer dismissed five workers after the cameras caught them smoking marijuana at the facility. Another seven employees were observed sleeping or urinating on the building's roof, and were made to sign "last chance" agreements saying that they would be sacked if caught violating company rules in the future.
An earlier ruling, saying that the employees were not entitled to reinstatement or back pay on account of their behaviour, has been overruled, as the court believes AB would not have known about the misconduct had it not been for the unlawfully-installed cameras.
AB has countered that the cameras were a matter of internal security and that employees had no expectation of privacy in the elevator motors room and the rooftop, which were not official break areas.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Anheuser-Busch has reiterated its 2005 earnings per share outlook....
Anheuser-Busch is the latest US drinks company to be hit by industrial action....
The US brewer Anheuser-Busch said today that it had seen its earnings per share fall 3% in the first quarter of the year, compared to the same period last year as it was hit by difficult trading condi...
Patrick Stokes, president and chief executive officer of Anheuser-Busch Companies, has said that the company's board of directors has declared a regular quarterly dividend....
Berkshire Hathaway Inc., the holding company of billionaire Warren Buffett, has acquired a significant stake in Anheuser-Busch....
Anheuser-Busch has threatened to stop buying rice from Missouri if the state allows genetically modified, drug-making crops to grow within its borders....
Anheuser-Busch has increased its economic interest in China's Tsingtao to 27% upon its conversion of all the remaining convertible bonds in Tsingtao....
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- Are Big Spirits Companies Failing to Innovate?
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- just the Winners - IWSC Spirits Trophy Winners
- Suntory sells Louis Royer Cognac for US$110m
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research