US: Anheuser-Busch ends Grolsch deal
Anheuser-Busch has signed a letter of intent to terminate its US importing rights to the Grolsch beer brands, it announced today. Miller Brewing Company will become the importer of the Grolsch brands.
A statement from A-B said: "The deal will provide enhanced protections for Anheuser-Busch equity wholesalers. Anheuser-Busch expects the deal to close by 1 August 2008."
Grolsch has been imported by Anheuser-Busch since April 2006 under an agreement with brand owner Royal Grolsch NV. In February 2008, SABMiller plc, parent company of Miller Brewing, completed its acquisition of Royal Grolsch NV and the Grolsch brands.
The financial terms of the deal are not being disclosed.
"The time is right to end our importation of these brands," said David A. Peacock, vice president, marketing, Anheuser-Busch, Inc. "It is important that our wholesalers who transition these brands are able to protect their investments. This agreement includes provisions for our distributors that will compensate them appropriately."
"Since the time we began importing Grolsch, Anheuser-Busch has expanded its portfolio to include a full range of other high-end imports such as Stella Artois, Beck's and Bass Pale Ale, as well as craft-style beers and non-alcohol beverages," continued Peacock. "Together with our best-selling American brands, including Budweiser, Bud Light and the Michelob family, we now offer the country's most comprehensive line-up of products, and are well positioned in today's changing beverage marketplace."
Scroll down to view the top 10 stories published on just-drinks this week....
Anheuser-Busch has promised its workers in the US that its breweries in the country will not be closed in the next five years....
InBev has said that net profit fell 14% in the third quarter of 2008, with a slowdown in Russia and the UK putting pressure on beer volumes....
Anheuser-Busch has reported a 5.7% slip in third quarter net profit, due to charges related to the InBev takeover deal....
MillerCoors, the US-based brewer jointly owned by SABMiller and Molson Coors, has reported a 15% rise in third quarter net income....
InBev has said that it will not rush into any disposals to improve funding for its US$52bn takeover of Anheuser-Busch....
MillerCoors has selected the location for its new headquarters in the city of Chicago....
Mexican brewer Grupo Modelo has reported a 0.3% rise in net profit for the third quarter of 2008, with revenue boosted by price rises....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Innovations - Scotch Whisky VII
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China