US: Anheuser-Busch ceases Spykes production
Anheuser-Busch has stopped making its drink Spykes due to its "limited volume potential and unfounded criticism".
The 12% abv flavoured malt beverage, criticised earlier this year by advocacy groups and state attorney generals for allegedly appealing to underage drinkers, was released across the US in January.
Reuters today (18 May) cited Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal as saying: "Spykes especially appealed to children in taste, packaging and marketing, its caffeine, fruit and chocolate flavours and tiny, hip bottles that are easily hidden and affordable, readily sneaked into proms, movie theaters, or parties without parental knowledge."
The news service also cited a statement from A-B, saying: "Due to its limited volume potential and unfounded criticism, we have ceased production of Spykes."
The decision to remove the brand from the market was announced at the National Alcohol Beverage Control Association's annual conference in California.
No-one was available for further comment at A-B when contacted by just-drinks.
Last month, A-B dismissed an attack on the drink from the Center for Science in the Public Interest. "Frankly, we're perplexed at this criticism, yet we know the CSPI is a perennial, fear-mongering anti-alcohol group whose members are in the business of spreading misinformation," a spokesperson said. "They have even stooped so low in the past as to criticise the use of designated drivers."
Sectors: Beer & cider
Alcohol harm is back at the top of the media agenda this week - is it ever away for long? The Alcohol Health Alliance, a newly-formed association of 24 leading health organisations in the UK, is c...
Belvedere has posted a healthy lift in sales for the first nine months of this year, as Polish reports have claimed the company has acquired a local alcohol distributor....
Anheuser-Busch has launched two seasonal beers under its Michelob brand....
The privatisation of Swedish state-owned alcohol concern Vin & Sprit has been brought forward as an indirect result of the US sub-prime mortgage crisis, Swedish media has reported....
A drinks trade body in Ukraine has proposed a minimum price for vodka in the country, according to local reports....
Systembolaget has posted a lift in alcohol sales for the month....
Tsingtao Brewery Co. has prepared a bond issue to fund future expansion....
In a statement to the Hong Kong stock exchange, the Chinese brewer Tsingtao Brewery has said that trading in its H shares have been suspended today (9 November)....
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits