US: Angry Orchard, Budweiser Black Crown get distribution boost
The hard cider brand has benefited from strong distribution
Boston Beer Co's hard cider brand, Angry Orchard, saw the biggest jump in US on-trade distribution in the first half of 2013, followed by Anheuser-Busch InBev's Budweiser Black Crown, according to latest figures.
Angry Orchard, launched last year, had a 15 percentage point gain in the number of restaurants and bars stocking the brand in the first six months of this year, tracking firm Guestmetrics reported today (8 August). Boston Beer Co said in May that its strong sales were partly driven by Angry Orchard.
Budweiser Black Crown's percentage gain was 11 points.
Third was another A-B InBev brand, Goose Island, acquired by the group in 2011, with a 9 percentage point gain in US outlets choosing to sell the beer.
Guestmetrics claimed that nearly all the share gains the brands saw in this year's first half were due to increased distribution.
"Changes in distribution coverage across full service restaurant and bars is one of the most important factors determining the success and failure in the beer category,” said Guestmetrics' CEO, Bill Pecoriello.
In this, the final part of just-drinks' management briefing for January, Euromonitor takes a look at what the year ahead has in store for the global brewing industry....
Anheuser-Busch InBev's plan to buy back Oriental Brewery serves as the strongest indictment yet of the rude health the global brewer is currently in....
After the Denver Broncos were comprehensibly beaten by the Seattle Seahawks 43-8 in yesterday's Super Bowl, some suggested the team needn't have shown up. Could the same have applied to advertisers? ...
The UK division of Anheuser-Busch InBev has confirmed to just-drinks that it will not renew Budweiser's sponsorship of The FA Cup football tournament in the country....
- Ten questions for Diageo - Analysis
- How craft beer has shattered its US shackles
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- New CEO sparks optimism at Coca-Cola - Analysis
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- BrewDog moves into spirits with LoneWolf launch
- Edrington's Highland Park Valkyrie - NPD
- Coca-Cola to cut 1,200 jobs
- Coca-Cola looks to fast-growing functional drinks
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Craft Beer: Coming of Age or Past Its Prime?
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report