US: Angry Orchard, Budweiser Black Crown get distribution boost
The hard cider brand has benefited from strong distribution
Boston Beer Co's hard cider brand, Angry Orchard, saw the biggest jump in US on-trade distribution in the first half of 2013, followed by Anheuser-Busch InBev's Budweiser Black Crown, according to latest figures.
Angry Orchard, launched last year, had a 15 percentage point gain in the number of restaurants and bars stocking the brand in the first six months of this year, tracking firm Guestmetrics reported today (8 August). Boston Beer Co said in May that its strong sales were partly driven by Angry Orchard.
Budweiser Black Crown's percentage gain was 11 points.
Third was another A-B InBev brand, Goose Island, acquired by the group in 2011, with a 9 percentage point gain in US outlets choosing to sell the beer.
Guestmetrics claimed that nearly all the share gains the brands saw in this year's first half were due to increased distribution.
"Changes in distribution coverage across full service restaurant and bars is one of the most important factors determining the success and failure in the beer category,” said Guestmetrics' CEO, Bill Pecoriello.
In this, the final part of just-drinks' management briefing for January, Euromonitor takes a look at what the year ahead has in store for the global brewing industry....
Anheuser-Busch InBev Germany’s strategic direction is mainly in line with the international parent company and the company does not have a lot of room for self-governance. Partial autonomy is granted,...
Anheuser-Busch InBev (A-B InBev) is facing challenges in the mature US beer category by focusing on premium and craft beer. As the US Justice Department precluded A-B InBev from controlling the lucrat...
Anheuser-Busch InBev's plan to buy back Oriental Brewery serves as the strongest indictment yet of the rude health the global brewer is currently in....
In 2013 and the coming years, the company is expected to continue its focus on developing new beers for its flagship Samuel Adams brand, alongside continued innovation of Twisted Tea (available in all...
AB InBev France SAS is strongly positioned in speciality, abbey-style dark beer in France and it is expected to maintain its stronghold in this category through innovation, continuing to launch new sp...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research