IRELAND/UK: Analysts unconvinced at SABMiller link to C&C
Analysts have poured cold water on the prospect of brewing giant SABMiller making a move for Magners cider owner C&C Group.
Speculation linking SABMiller with C&C has resurfaced in recent days after a rally in the Irish drinks group's share price.
However, analysts remain unconvinced that the brewing giant would bid for C&C, which has enjoyed buoyant earnings growth thanks to the growing popularity of its cider brands on both sides of the Irish Sea.
"I would never rule out anything but there are certainly many other things that are of more interest to SABMiller at the moment," Dennis Weber of UK bank Dresdner Kleinwort told just-drinks today (21 March).
"(SABMiller) has the integration of its Bavaria business and pursuing continued growth in South Africa - among other things - to deal with. It also doesn't have the expertise in cider production."
Weber believed a move for C&C from cider rival Scottish & Newcastle is also unlikely. He said an offer from S&N would be an "admission" from the UK brewer that it had not achieved enough growth with its cider brands, which include Strongbow.
A spokesman for C&C in London declined to comment, while SABMiller officials could not be reached for comment as just-drinks went to press.
Plzensky Prazdroj has unveiled plans to increase its beer prices due to a rise in raw material costs....
Gordon & MacPhail has reorganised its board of directors following the retirement of managing director Ian Urquhart....
The Coca-Cola Co. has fallen out with a number of smaller Glaceau Vitaminwater distributors over its plans to put 65% of its sales through its own distribution networks across the US, according to rep...
SABMiller and C&C Group have declined to comment over recent acquisition rumours....
Beam Global Spirits & Wines has poached a director at Diageo to become its UK marketing director....
Scottish & Newcastle has had its share coverage downgraded, due to a potential takeover bid from Carlsberg now seeming "unlikely"....
Rémy Cointreau has confirmed that it is looking for new deals in readiness for its exit from Maxxium....
Jones Soda is to undertake a national advertising campaign in the US and has recruited the agency Cole & Weber United to work on the programme....
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Britvic's FY Performance by Region - Focus
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- This week in spirits & wine
- A-B InBev mulls sale of Peroni, Grolsch - report
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts