IRELAND/UK: Analysts unconvinced at SABMiller link to C&C
Analysts have poured cold water on the prospect of brewing giant SABMiller making a move for Magners cider owner C&C Group.
Speculation linking SABMiller with C&C has resurfaced in recent days after a rally in the Irish drinks group's share price.
However, analysts remain unconvinced that the brewing giant would bid for C&C, which has enjoyed buoyant earnings growth thanks to the growing popularity of its cider brands on both sides of the Irish Sea.
"I would never rule out anything but there are certainly many other things that are of more interest to SABMiller at the moment," Dennis Weber of UK bank Dresdner Kleinwort told just-drinks today (21 March).
"(SABMiller) has the integration of its Bavaria business and pursuing continued growth in South Africa - among other things - to deal with. It also doesn't have the expertise in cider production."
Weber believed a move for C&C from cider rival Scottish & Newcastle is also unlikely. He said an offer from S&N would be an "admission" from the UK brewer that it had not achieved enough growth with its cider brands, which include Strongbow.
A spokesman for C&C in London declined to comment, while SABMiller officials could not be reached for comment as just-drinks went to press.
Plzensky Prazdroj has unveiled plans to increase its beer prices due to a rise in raw material costs....
Gordon & MacPhail has reorganised its board of directors following the retirement of managing director Ian Urquhart....
The Coca-Cola Co. has fallen out with a number of smaller Glaceau Vitaminwater distributors over its plans to put 65% of its sales through its own distribution networks across the US, according to rep...
SABMiller and C&C Group have declined to comment over recent acquisition rumours....
Beam Global Spirits & Wines has poached a director at Diageo to become its UK marketing director....
Scottish & Newcastle has had its share coverage downgraded, due to a potential takeover bid from Carlsberg now seeming "unlikely"....
Rémy Cointreau has confirmed that it is looking for new deals in readiness for its exit from Maxxium....
Jones Soda is to undertake a national advertising campaign in the US and has recruited the agency Cole & Weber United to work on the programme....
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Alcohol brands and the 'better-for-you' trend
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Diageo unveils new Bundaberg Rum packaging
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends