UK: Analysts say Scottish & Newcastle vulnerable to takeover
The UK's second largest brewer Scottish & Newcastle, the last of the big British brewers to be still under home control, could be vulnerable to a takeover.According to Dow Jones International News, analysts believe that the brewer lacks the cashflow to aggressively expand its international operations. Its domestic prospects are also bleak, observers have told the news service.Scottish & Newcastle's results, released yesterday, were in line with market expectations, with pre-tax profits of £415m. However due to confusion over new accounting standards, some forecasts were high and led to a sharp fall in the company's share price."If S&N's share price continues to drift at this level, then a potential takeout is possible," said an analyst.Observers have picked out South African Breweries (SAB) as the only real contender for the business."Only SAB looks to have the motivation and cash to do it," said the analyst. The article went on to say that S&N's Kronenbourg acquisition will only serve to make the group more attractive to a predator. S&N's home market also looks tough in the wake of Interbrew's aggressive entry.Analysts said that S&N's John Smith's, Foster's, Kronenbourg and Miller's brands weren't likely to be a match for Interbrew's Carling, Stella Artois and Worthington brands.However Merrill Lynch said in a recent note that the acquisition of Kronenbourg and Greenalls pub estate should double S&N's growth rate over the next two years.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends